Sunday, November 13

The mini pesticide experiments

Ever since I started this project of tracking down small food plants to grow at home, the next challenge I've had to face is the safest way of curbing the insect population, which also feed on our food plants. In my previous posts, I shared how caterpillars, aphids and mealy bugs can harm our plants, but also how insecticides wrongly applied can harm your children or pets. This got me started on ways we can make our pesticides using materials we know are safe.

Using canola oil, baking soda & soap.
The recipes I tried out today are mainly from an article on natural garden pest control and the video I shared earlier by the Produce Garden. 

Recipe 1 - For insects & fungal diseases
This recipe required 1 tablespoon of cooking oil, 2 tablespoons of baking soda, and a few drops of soap in approximate 1 liter of water. 

All you need to do is measure out the ingredients, add water and mix or shake in a used container. You might want to have the end product in a spray bottle.

Canola oil & dishwashing soap for Recipe 2.
Recipe 2 - For soft-bodied insects (e.g. aphids & mealy bugs) 
This recipe required just 1 tablespoon of cooking oil and a few drops of soap in approximately 1 liter of water. Again, mix all your ingredients in the water and have it in a spray bottle. This is commonly sold in shops as white oil. 

To apply, spray it both downwards and upwards on your leaves. The oil makes it hard for the insects to survive. 

Ingredients for Recipe 3.
Recipe 3 - As a general pesticide
This recipe follows that featured in the video by the Produce Garden. It required chopped up chilies, garlic and soap. In the video, dried chilies were used but I chose to use the chili padi that were going bad. 

In my experiment, I used two small chili padi, one clove of garlic and approximately 1 tablespoon of soap. Having dumped the soap, chopped up chili and garlic into my bottle, I added warm water before giving it a good stir. This pesticide needs to sit a week before you strain the chunky bits out and transfer to a spray bottle. 
Chopped chili & garlic

I will be saving this pesticide for next week. Today, I tried the white oil on my curry leaves and pandan. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping the pesticides work! The constant (but irregular) rain we've been having is making it hard to gauge just when the insects will come. 

I hope we all have fun making these pesticides to protect our plants from unwelcome guests. 

I will be talking about composting at home in my next entry. Do look out for it, especially if you've been thinking about having it at home but worried about the stench! 
The end product with messy labels.

No comments:

Post a Comment